After 22 years of providing shelter to more than 47,300 animals and offering high-quality service to the community, we are embarking on a campaign to build a new Animal Adoption & Education Center. Please join us in our efforts to “Build a Home with Heart.” We’ve always had the heart . . . now we need a new home.
Home with Heart Happenings
Friday, February 19, 2016: Ceremonial Amtrak Key Transfer from the City of Dearborn to the Friends. The Amtrak Station will be retrofitted and integrated into the design of our new facility.
October – December 2015: Seventeen of our very best veterinary friends participated in a friendly competition to see which clinic could raise the most funds toward our capital project to build a new Animal Adoption & Education Center. Donations were gathered through social media (CrowdRise) and creative clinic collections. Bravo to Dearborn Family Pet Care for emerging as the overall winner! They raised $8,335 in client donations. Plus, Royal Canin USA, the marvelous Challenge sponsor, contributed a $2,500 matching gift. To date, these doggedly determined veterinary friends have raised more than $36,000.
June 10, 2015: Friends came out in full force to support our Raise the Woof Community Breakfast. Our nearly 220 guests visited with adopted alumni, received a sneak peek at our new facility renderings, and surpassed our goal of $250,000. Please visit our Community Breakfast photo gallery.
Why A New Shelter?
A new facility will benefit both two- and four-legged friends in Southeast Michigan in a myriad of ways. It will strengthen our commitment to better serve our animals, our adopters, our volunteers, our staff, the community, and supporters like YOU. For more information download our Capital Campaign Statement.
- Offer a healthy, soothing, low-stress home for animals in our care
- Significantly improve the level of experience for adopters, volunteers, and all community visitors
- Employ sustainable ecological design (“Green Building”) and innovative housing, equipment, and practices
- Provide the opportunity for robust community involvement, education, and enrichment
- Be conveniently located to fully integrate with other public services (Dearborn Administrative Campus on Michigan Avenue; Amtrak site)
- Create a best-in-class work environment for staff, volunteers, and visiting veterinarians
Ways to Give
If you are interested in donating to the new Animal Adoption & Education initiative, or for more information about assisting with the public phase of our campaign, contact our Director of Marketing and Development Peter Poulos at 313-389-6838 or email@example.com.
“We appreciate what the Friends accomplish, and the efficient way in which they do it, with careful use of resources and infinite respect for the animals. We are committed to helping them get the new Animal Adoption & Education Center built. It will set a new standard for quality animal care.”
—Kay & Doug Neff
- 6/19/15- Friends Launch Campaign to “Raise the Woof” on New Animal Shelter in Dearborn
- 6/11/15 – 10 Year Old’s Lemonade Stands Help “Raise the Woof” for New Shelter.
- 6/5/15 – Community Invited to Learn More about Dearborn’s New Animal Shelter Project
- 9/9/14 – Dearborn City Council Votes Unanimously to Approve MOU with the Friends For the Dearborn Animal Shelter
- 3/3/14 – Architect Chosen for New Animal Shelter.
- 12/08/13 – Drive to Build a new Dearborn Animal Shelter is well worth supporting – Editorial.
- 10/29/13 – Black Tie Gala raises nearly half million in donations, $355, 000 of which for New Shelter.
- 10/26/13 – Fundraiser success for New Shelter, see images from evening.
- 10/8/13 – Two parcels being considered for new Dearborn Animal Shelter.
- 10/3/13 – Council Weighs New Dearborn Animal Shelter Location.